Honey is known as the food that can last forever because of the craftsmanship of bees. Flower's nectar mixed with bee's enzymes transforms the nectar into basic sugar stored in honeycombs. The handling and processing of organic honey additionally increase lifetime usability. The sugar of honey is hygroscopic despite being low in moisture; it implies they take moisture from the air. The honey products such as pure honey or organic honey can stay the same forever when sealed properly so that moisture cannot be absorbed. The oldest edible jar of honey ever found was believed to be more than five thousand years old. These questions always arise in everyone's mind that does honey go off? If it never expires, what are the reasons for its never-ending life? There are many reasons why honey can last longer than everything else. Following are a few more reasons why honey never expires.
High sugar content - Honey is basically made of sugar, which is extremely low in moisture by nature. And bacteria needs moisture in order to grow and survive. Moisture is the perfect breeding ground for microorganisms to thrive. But the absence of moisture reduces this chance and make honey last for long.
- Acidic in nature - As well as with very less moisture, honey is also acidic, which is odd for the sweet thing. Despite being sweet in taste, honey is very acidic in nature. The pH of the honey jar is 4, which is the very acidic side of the pH scale as the neutral pH is 7. Honey bees produce gluconic acid while processing honey in the hive. The acidic nature of honey can likewise assist with halting the development of bacteria.
- Full of antioxidants - Organic honey contains concentrations of polyphenol; it is considered to be a powerful antioxidant. It prevents or delays the decomposition process, which helps honey to last longer. Antioxidant properties also decrease the chance of heart diseases.
- Antibacterial properties - While processing the honey in beehives, bees also create hydrogen peroxide. It provides an antiseptic effect. That is why many people use organic honey to treat wounds. It is also the reason that reason honey can not be spoiled.
- Antifungal properties - Organic honey can kill unwanted fungus and bacteria. Honey is an antimicrobial substance with antibacterial and antifungal properties, which will not allow any fungus or bacteria to grow in it and prevent honey from spoiling.
Power of organic honey
- Promote sleep - Organic honey has a variety of medical and health benefits. Honey helps produce melatonin, the sleep hormone that controls the sleep cycle. To regulate your sleep, take honey before going to bed.
- Improve cholesterol level - Organic honey is the best way to keep the cholesterol level in check. It will raise the good cholesterol or HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and lower the bad cholesterol or LDL (low-density lipoprotein).
- Helps lower blood pressure level - Antioxidant substance in organic honey helps reduce the blood pressure level. The research concluded that the blood pressure level is lower after taking honey.
- Lower triglycerides - Triglycerides are the type of fat that is responsible for the heavy weight. Most of the unhealthy food that we eat take the shape of triglycerides in our blood and become the reason for a condition like a hypertriglyceridemia, which means the high amount of triglycerides fats in the blood. Research shows that taking honey regularly have a positive effect on metabolism and help lower the triglycerides fats from the blood. It is also good for type 1 diabetics patients.
- Promote heart health - After seeing effective outcomes on cholesterol level, blood pressure and triglycerides, it should not be surprising to see the positive result of organic honey in promoting heart health. One study concludes that honey shields the heart from oxidative pressure.
- Help with weight control - Organic honey is the incredible replacement of sugar, particularly assuming that you are attempting to keep your weight under control. The Glycemic index is the scale that decides your food's blood sugar level. The Glycemic index of sugar is 105, while on the other hand glycemic index of honey is between the range of 54-59. But it is essential to utilize a good quality brand. The medical advantage of honey increases when you adapt it to your daily use as a sugar substitute.
- The power of honey as medicine - As mentioned earlier, honey contains hydrogen peroxide, which is a very effective germ killer. Applying honey to wounds reduces infection and increases the healing process as organic honey is acidic and effective in healing wounds. Honey is the old remedy for treating a cough or sore throat. One spoonful of honey is as effective as dextromethorphan, a common cough medicine ingredient. It is also used for many other conditions, such as eye infections. Sugar in honey provides the osmotic effect, reducing swelling and healing damaged tissue.
- Helps improve memory - Organic honey help enhance memory and concentration. It helps diminish the oxidative stress in the brain, improve brain areas related to memory, expand brain development factors and help enhance the learning process.
- Helps improve the digestive system - Honey is potent prebiotic that further help in the digestion process. Potent prebiotic means it nourishes the useful bacteria that help in the digestion process. In some cases, it is used for digestion issues such as diarrheas; however, there is no scientific research to back it. But honey showed a compelling result in treating the stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
Boost immune system -
Honey's antimicrobial property will shield you from any kind of viral, bacterial and fungal infections and boost your immune system. Take honey in breakfast for effective results.
- Phytonutrient powerhouse - Phytonutrients in plants shield them from any kind of harm, like protecting them from ultraviolet rays or keeping insects away. It is also the reason that honey has antioxidants antimicrobial properties. That is why organic honey shows anticancer and immune-boosting benefits. But it is important to use pure honey or organic honey because too much processing destroys these significant nutrients.